Saturday, August 1, 2015

Refinishing your hardwood floors--Worth the chaos? I vote yes!

We recently had our hardwood floors throughout our house refinished. I think I underestimated everything that goes into it. Someone comes in, makes your floors pretty, and leaves, right? I overlooked the fact that you basically completely move out of your house, minus the cardboard boxes and mangled packing tape (or maybe that's just me?), not to mention the inevitable dust left behind no matter how clean your floor guy is! Fortunately, we had the perfect opportunity to have them refinished last month.

 Every summer, we do "Christmas in July" with my husband's side of the family. They live in Wyoming, so we don't get to see them too often. Previously, we were alternating holidays each year between his family and mine who live here in California, but traveling that far during the holiday season isn't ideal. My brother & sister in law have two children themselves, and we all agree we want our kids to wake up in their own houses on Christmas morning after Santa comes, so we came up with a new plan-- Christmas in July. We all meet up somewhere for about a week  and the kiddos get presents and what not. This year we went to Yosemite National Park here in California, and stayed in a fantastic house not too far from the park. It worked out great that we didn't have to travel too far this year (about 3 and a half-ish hours) with a three month old!



This lucky chick received her first American Girl Doll this year, and had a blast with her cousins.

So while packing for vacation, we also had to empty our entire house while still trying to entertain the littles. With Isla thinking she needed to play with everything we were trying to move, it took much longer than I anticipated. Flash forward a week and we were coming home to beautiful floors and having to put the house back together.


 If I'm being honest, my house is still not fully back together yet, but we will get there. Although it was more work than I initially realized, it was totally worth it! I love the look of our new floors, which have transformed drastically from when we moved in a year ago. It started with blue carpet which we immediately tore up to reveal the hardwood underneath, which was older, fairly worn, not my ideal color, but far better than the carpet!



It's clear that the previous owners, who were an older couple, loved the color blue. In addition to the carpet, both bathrooms, including the ceilings, are shades of bright blue. I am personally not a fan of matching the ceiling to the walls, regardless of the wall color, and am looking forward to tackling those masterpieces soon! Painting is a pretty cheap & quick fix, but we completely tore out and redid the kitchen first thing when we moved in (more on that & before and after pictures another time!). Shortly after moving, I was pregnant for Weston and we concentrated on doing the kids rooms first (& let's be real, I was mostly concentrating on naps!), so the blindingly bright bathrooms weren't the top priority. Speaking of the blue lovin' previous owner, we are having the woman who lived here over tomorrow! Our neighbor who is good friends with her mentioned to us that she is in town visiting, and that she said the house was one of her top sights she wanted to see (so cute!). With it being that high on her list, I'm hoping she likes what we have done so far, I know I do! Can't wait to see her reaction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment